Skip to main content

Acknowledging Our Mentors

I recently began reading the Acknowledgements sections at the end of novels. I used to finish a book, close it upon completing the final chapter, and file it away on the bookshelf.

Perhaps I am arriving late in the game of reading Acknowledgements; perhaps most of you have always read acknowledgments and are wondering why it took me so long to get there (no worries, feel free to judge). Regardless, I'm glad I finally took the time to do so.

So many people help with the creation of a book, whether fiction, nonfiction, or textbooks. And I find myself inspired by the tributes authors compose to the unseen eyes and unheard voices who helped these authors generate their work. I have even found myself crying on occasion because of how much love and tenderness writers extend to their editors, friends, partners, children, and even pets. Sometimes authors acknowledge one or two people, and other times the lists are exhaustive. It's powerful stuff.

In the absence of writing a book or winning an award, most people don't often have the space to collectively acknowledge the ones who shepherded them along in their lives. But what would happen if we took a moment to think of all the people who got us to this point in time? Maybe there's one or two people who come to mind. Or maybe the list is exhaustive. 

Considering how moved I have been by what I read, I thought, "What if I took the time to stop and write some Acknowledgments?" And being a writing teacher, I decided to create an assignment: Acknowledging Our Mentors. 

Maybe you'd like to try this task, too,  on your own, with your students, your faculty, your team. If so, here are some considerations:

An Overview of the Task
If the stories of our lives were to go on pause, who would we acknowledge in this moment? Which mentors come most to mind? And mentor, as I define it, is anyone who helps us become the people we most want to be.

Purpose


  • To take the time to reflect on where we are in our lives.
  • To engage in an authentic practice of gratitude
  • To acknowledge those who have contributed to our growth
Format
  • A hefty paragraph (most Acknowledgments are crafted this way)
  • Fragments are okay
  • Begin with "I'd like to acknowledge..." and let the piece go from there
  • Be specific about what you'd like to acknowledge your mentors for
Procedure
1.) Call to mind at least three to five people who have had an influence on you. Write their names down.
2.) Next to each name, write how they have been helpful. Consider an anecdote, a phrase, or simply the work they do--or the work they have helped you to do.
3.) Consider the ways you want to arrange your paragraph. Some options are the following:
  • Go chronologically from the first person who influenced you to the most recent person
  • Go thematically--group people together if their influences are similar
  • Group people by the professional impact they had on you, or the personal impact
  • Go person by person, with no real order in mind (maybe everyone is as important as everyone else)
  • Choose a style that works best for you
4.) Begin writing. Perhaps take the piece through a few drafts, and practice arranging your sentences in different ways.
5.) Share it with the people who have influenced you.

And because I never assign something that I wouldn't do myself, I have decided to practice this task to see what it would be like. 

So here goes:

I'd like to acknowledge Beth Greenspan, who asked me to be her campaign manager for class President in elementary school (she was in 5th grade, I was in 2nd); I couldn't see over the podium when I gave my speech, but it was my first shot at public speaking (and she gave me a stuffed animal as a thank you!). I'd like to acknowledge my 2nd grade teacher Mrs. Dully, who gave me the space to turn show-and-tell into a one-woman show each week. To my 3rd grade teacher Mrs. Pierce, who, even though she fell asleep on our milk tickets, was one of the most creative people I knew in my young life. To Mrs. Canterbury and Anastasia Cole, the painting teachers who taught me to love working with oils and get lost in the creative process. To William Bonnell, who gave me a D+ on my first paper in his AP English class, and who inspired me to work hard at the art of revision. To Debby Martin, who taught me how to be a leader and the value of helium tanks for school dances. To Rachel Pond Camero, Emily Plesser, and Carissa Adams, whose work at coaching rowing motivated me to fall in love with and be a part of the sport for eight years--as a coxswain and as a coach. To Celeste Haarmeyer, Ellie Koutilides, and Linda Beaudin, my master teachers for my student teaching (thanks, Ellie, for the phrase, "I'll bend, but I won't break."). To Pauline Holmes, Jon Wagner, Sandy Davis--and Steve Athanases--who established the foundation between theory and practice in education, and who have set a high bar for effective teaching. And Steve, thanks for inspiring me to write my first published article. To Rod Hollander, Ellen Wong, and John Wong, who helped me survive my first years at McClatchy High School, and who supported my growth inside and outside the classroom. Rod, thanks for being my surrogate father, and loving me even though you dislike my politics (I'm right most of the time). To Lise Shelton, who saw my desire to grow; who created opportunities for me to hone my skills; who has supported my leadership/coaching path. I owe the next stage of my professional journey to you. To Janet McGarvey, who creates opportunities for me to flourish as a presenter and innovator. To Jane Haladay, who inspired me to become a teacher, whom I reconnected with when I first began my career, and who has remained a lifelong friend and mentor since I was 17; you are my chosen family. To Buster, the worst rescue dog a person could ask for, but who has taught me what it means to love someone where they are. And to Amy, partner in crime and partner in life, who loves me where I am and who reminds me I'm human (even though I rarely screw up). 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pedagogy in the Springtime: An Ode to Seasonal Teaching

Springtime in schools is exciting. And exhausting. As we prepare for end-of-year celebrations, performances, and rituals for closure, we must summon the same level of stamina we had when the school year began. Sometimes the light at the end of the school-year tunnel allows us to press forward until the finish. Sometimes the growth of our students inspires us to manage those final weeks of youth bouncing off the walls. Yet we also need to acknowledge, with care and honesty, that we are tired.  When I was in my first years of teaching, I always dreaded the slog between spring break and Memorial Day. Typically, we had about six to eight full weeks with no breaks. And as the sun came out and the weather got warmer, students increasingly struggled to be in the classroom. I was afraid I'd get eaten alive because I wasn't sure I had the energy to maintain my class routines with the same meticulousness as the fall or when a new semester began. And sometimes these fears became self-fu

Trans-itions

The news media is on fire these days regarding legislation in Mississippi and North Carolina--legislation that makes provisions for discrimination based on one's sexual orientation or gender identity. The governors of both states have signed off on this legislation ( HB1523  in Mississippi;  HB 2  in North Carolina), and the nation has responded, both within and outside these states—from   boycotts   to   college campus protests . Prior to North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory signing HB 2 into law, Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts sent him the following text directly:  Please do not sign this awful bill...Poorly conceived and written.   There is no provision for any enforcement for race, religion, etc. It will be legal for restaurants to hang a sign saying 'no gays allowed' out front. Is this the N.C. we want? McCrory ignored this text. His decision to convene the North Carolina legislature and sign HB 2 into law this March came as a response to a local ord

Humane Innovation for Today's Schools: Three Tips for all Educators

21st Century education has its share of buzz words: "innovation" being chief among them. From my first years of teaching (in the midst of Y2K and its anti-climactic aftermath), everyone in education was focused on the future. To innovate meant to do school differently: to throw out the factory models of education in favor of schools for different purposes--technological, thematic, globalized.  16 years into this new century, and the factory model of schooling still exists. However, much has changed as well. Numerous schools , from charter to independent to public, are blowing up the concept of traditional education in favor of more experiential and intentional learning experiences that meet the needs of today's students. Some schools are responding to advanced uses of technology, like Michigan's Clintondale High School , a public high school in the Detroit area whose core focus is the flipped classroom. Other schools are innovating by unplugging, such as Th